Posted (edited)

Just wanted to say hi.  I joined 3dx back end of February, but for some reason they aren't allowing any new signups to their forum, which I can't say I agree with because surely my membership fee also covers that?  Anyway, I found Xtreme in middle of March, so figured I might as well sign up.

A little bit of background... I used to be a member on another 3d virtual world game called Kaneva from early 2013 until it closed in late 2016.  I did a lot of building there, and when I was told by a Kaneva friend that you could build in 3dx I joined up.  Building is very simlar between the 2 games, the biggest different being that all items/objects in Kaneva were fixed, meaning there were many items, whereas with 3dx there are only a few objects and you have to craft them into what you want; it just means using your imagination a little.

With Kaneva users were able to make their own things in something like Sketchup and import it into Kaneva.  Having done a bit of building in 3dx now, and viewed a few builds, I see that's not really necesary as you can make just about anything with the objects available.  What is limited though is the patterns - why don't 3dx admin allow members to import patterns?

Being an ex-programmer, when I found out that one could add scripts in Kaneva (using a language called Lua) I jumped at the chance to do some.  I taught myself bits of the language, and scripted lots of different doors opening (sliding doors, ordinary opening doors, even a revolving door). I scripted a plane to carry people, take off from a runway, fly around an island, and land again.  I scripted the first working shower (rather than just standing still under a shower with running water), including holding a piece of soap and washing oneself.  I scripted lights being switched on and off (although that didn't work as one would expect because they didn't have lights like they do in 3dx), going to bed/sleep and covering yourself with the duvet, doing makeup at a makeup table, curtains opening and closing, swimming when stepping into a swimming pool, baths filling up with water when the tap is turned on, and a few more scripts besides... which I don't recall any more.  Is there any reason why 3dx admin don't allow us to do that?  Interaction could be so much better if they did.

Speaking of 'opening doors', why don't they allow doors to be opened in 3dx?  i've read in the main 3dx forum that it could be done (by using the water material), but I've not been able to replicate it.  I've heard a rumour that it's no longer possible - is that correct?  If so, any idea why?

Finally, on Kaneva we could mod friends to help with building; on 3dx only the owner can build, making it a very long and arduous task.  Any reason why 3dx don't allow friends being mod'd to help with builds?

That's all for now, hope someone has some answers for me.  Thanks in advance.

ChasingMoreDreams

Edited by ChasingMoreDreams

@Dallas  Can actually help answer alot of this...

Warm Regards,

Xtreme Administrator

i have been at 3dx for 7 years now and throughout this time, the developers have always been pretty tight lipped with the source code for the game. They only recently have allowed outside people submit poses, clothing and other things for approval before they introduce it in the next revision.

There have been "mods" in the past that were tolerated because it allowed them time do other things while the players played with the options then available in the mod.

This was all restricted a couple of years ago now when we transitioned to 64bit and any "mod" that is used that does not have the approval of the developers or SGD is considered a hack and typically the user is banned from the game.

With this said, with your skill set I would encourage you to contact the developers and see if they can use your talents.

Doors, there was a door option a few years back but i assume nobody liked it and it was pulled from the world editor tool box.

I know its frustrating but I think the reason they have been pretty tight on the controls is to maintain the level of quality that only 3dx offers. I certainly think that is what Gizmo feels.

regards

Dallas

Many thanks for the reply Dallas.

Any idea why they aren't allowing new signups to the main 3dx forum?  I did send them a message asking, but they didn't give an adequate response to it, except to say they aren't taking on new signups at the moment.

With regards to 'using my talents', i am still very new to 3dx, so my 'talents' are limited.  Having seen some of the fantastic builds already done I'm sure there are many 3dx'ers out there who could add so much to this game given the opportunity

In response to your talent, I was suggesting using your programming talents to perhaps submit some of the improvements that you were able to create in your previous game. I know zero regarding coding, but perhaps you can provide, for approval, some of your ideas regarding scripts that will give builders the ability to do some of this functionality.

The forum, I can only speculate, but I imagine that they are trying to prevent some of the recent attacks by hackers to bring the servers down by DDOS attacks. But that is only my perspective.

with this said, welcome to xtreme and 3dx, we always enjoy seeing talent like yours join our community.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

I'm xDemiTx, I'm sure one or two people know me--Builder, Dancer, DJ.  Popping in to say hello  🙂

• Like 1

Hey Demi,

welcome to Xtreme!